May The Force Be With You
Context:
Milo: 19 month old, does whatever he wants, current favorite word, why.
Gus: A newly minted 4 year old, with an active imagination and a love of all things nature
Scene: Chilly Minneapolis winter weekday morning, at the park with a lake near our house
Boys’ last caloric intake: 9:15 AM fruit smoothie
10:38 AM (22 minutes until lunch, 10 minutes from home)…
I am holding Milo, who is upset that we had to leave the playground and his beloved swing.
Gus, still in exploring mode, after commandeering the large pirate ship at the playground,
is now looking for his next adventure. A woman in a red puffy coat walks by; we nod at each other.
10:43 AM (17 minutes until lunch, 9 and a half minutes from home)…
Milo is now calm, we have made it roughly 20 feet closer to home.
Gus is running back and forth from the high grasses and the rock sculpture,
“Remember when we saw the mystery creature dad. What was it? You know dad. A river otter!”
It is 14 degrees out, we have been playing at the playground for roughly an hour.
Both boys' have apple-red cheeks.
10:46 AM (14 minutes until lunch, 9 and a half minutes from home) …
(Conversation in my head)
“Ok, we will do turkey sandwiches instead of rice and beans.”
“Is Milo getting too far ahead?”
“If I put Gus on my shoulders, do you think Milo will walk the rest of the way?”
“Should I bribe Gus with something?”
10:47 AM (13 minutes until lunch, 9 and a half minutes from home)…
“Gus, we need to get back for lunch and Milo’s nap.” “But dad, what if the mystery creature comes back!”
… Milo is slowly moving farther away on the path.
10:48 AM (12 minutes until lunch, still 9 and a half minutes from home)…
(Conversation in my head)
“Ok pickles instead of kale chips.”
“Nice, Milo found a stick to occupy himself.”
“Uh oh, a person is walking by, I hope he gives them space and preferably doesn’t swing the stick at them.”
“If we don’t get back in time, Milo isn’t going to go down for his nap, and if Milo doesn’t go down for his nap,
then I don’t get my “me time” while Gus plays on the Chromebook. That is if Gus plays on the Chromebook.
I was really looking forward to reading the next chapter in my book. I better get the boys back. Hmmm… think.”
“Alright, I’ll set a timer for Gus, that works 75% of the time.”
10:48 AM continued…
“Gus, I am setting a timer for 2 minutes. Then we are going home.” “Ok, dad!”
10:49 AM (11 minutes until lunch, 9 and a half minutes from home)...
The woman in the red puffy coat is already on her way back through.
“I love that age! Isn’t it nice that they force you to slow down and enjoy the little things?” …
I give my response that I give to almost all passersby that say something to me.
I nod my head and say “uh huh.” As she continues to walk away. I let out an audible whisper,
“it is, but damn it's challenging sometimes.”
10:50 AM (10 minutes until lunch, now again 10 minutes from home, better plant life farther away from the path)...
Gus examining a thistle, timer goes off. Milo has walked back to me, saying “stick” with a sad tone to it.
The stick is bent in the middle. “Time to go.”
10:53 AM (7 minutes until lunch 10 minutes from home)...
After hiding behind the large rock sculpture and discussing where the river otter may go in the winter.
The crew heads home, Milo on his dad’s shoulders and Gus jogging alongside them.
In the house, hot (lukewarm) cocoa in hands while dad hastily puts together lunch.
--------------
Staying at home does allow you to slow down and enjoy the little things with your children.
But it is a practiced skill, it is an adjustment. Every outing is practice for both the child and the parent.
I told a friend the other day that when I say we go for a hike, it is actually climbing fallen trees,
throwing rocks into the water, picking up sticks, etc. It isn’t the continual walk that it used to be.
Though I’m a pretty chill and relaxed guy, after years of going at my own pace,
I appreciated the woman’s word choice of “force”.
I have been home now with the kids around 8 months and every day
I am getting better at “planning” for the pace of two toddlers.
Cheers to all parents continually trying to make everything work while appreciating the world through the eyes of their child.
*PDF if format is hard to read
Comments
Post a Comment