Ode to Baking with a Toddler

 Ode to Baking with a Toddler


Kitchen counter at the ready

Step Stool… pushed to the side

“I can’t reach”… wobbles.

“Ugh, the counter is better for pouring”.


Be careful.

“I got it.”


Shoulders tense, hands at the ready

The knock… nothing

Knock again… nothing

Whack, the egg spills into the bowl.


Watch for shards.

“I got it.” 


The pre-measured ingredients at the ready

First cup in… perfect

Second… slow down, a little spilled off the side

“Uh oh,” only half the last cup finds the mark.


We can scoop it up. 

“I got it.”


The paddle moving back and forth at the ready

Too slow… not enough is happening

Too fast… cover your eyes!

Thunk, thunk, thunk, "smells delicious!"


I think it's ready.

“I got it.”


The pre-greased baking tin at the ready

Up… keep the bowl low when pouring

To the side… good 

“Whoops”, we can spread that out.


Looks about right. 

“I got it.”


The oven at the ready

We good… “not yet”

Are you sure… that might be enough, I’ll take the spoon

“Wait, there is still some in the bowl!”


It will be about 15 minutes. 

“I got it.”


The remnants of the batter at the ready

Fingers... covered 

Face… also covered

“Yup, this is good!”


You’ll have to wash up.

“I got it.” 


The dishes in the sink at the ready.

Utensils… check

Bowls… check

Squirt, the soap is in!


I’ll get the stool for you. 

“I’m going to play with my toys.”



Gus and I did a recording of this ode.

If you would rather listen than read!

Link to Reading.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts