1/30/2022 Ice Skating

 My five year old skated for the first time today with actual skates. We have played on frozen ponds and rinks but only ever in boots. Last year, we talked about the idea of skating but with Covid, all the warming houses were closed and the city wasn't renting out skates. 

I had forgotten how long and challenging it is just too put on skates. We spent a solid five minutes, untying and tying laces before he made his maiden voyage on to the ice. The skates were doubled bladed and allowed him to feel comfortable walking on to the ice. Then he just went. Just walking, moving forward, no hand holding, just went. Turned around after a couple of paces with the biggest grin on his face. 

"I am doing it, dad!"

Fatherhood can be challenging especially staying at home but these moments make it. I do not feel comfortable on the ice or in skates. We skated scarcely growing up even though I grew up in Wisconsin. Just didn't do it. I knew that would change for my sons growing up in Minnesota, the hockey state. I hope they don't want to play hockey when they grow up but I want them to feel comfortable with skating. The park down the street from us floods their field and it is a great set up. It is the setting of this story. 

We spent over an hour just playing on the ice. Gus watched older kids moving quickly, toddlers in boots, a girl his age zipping around with her dad. I was proud of him, I tried to get him to leave after a hard fall that left a red mark on his cheek. But after a couple of minutes of crying, "Good skaters, never give up." was the comment he gave while surging back onto the ice, face still wet with tears. 

I don't know how many times we will skate again this winter, but I have to sit and appreciate his desire to learn new things. Also how he attacks new problems with such resolve. 



Comments

Popular Posts